Materials Manager (Materials Manager G)
Materials Manager G
- United Kingdom -- England -- South West England -- Gloucestershire -- Gloucester
15 March 2023
Business Need / Purpose of Role:
- This role will have oversight of purchasing and planning activities for two manufacturing sites and is responsible for facilitating the flow of work and materials into and through the company to ensure the procurement and releasing of materials on time.
- This role will also include managing inventory within the manufacturing delivery systems.
- To be responsible for the receipt and planning of customer orders in line with the company delivery plans within the agreed Buffer times and providing appropriate capacity information, allowing timely management decisions, inclusive of resource allocations and to ensure that these are completed within a disciplined fashion.
- To ensure that the management of Supply Chain performance always supports Material Release 100%OTIF and that reductions in inventory levels and shortening of the Supply Chain are driven by the Purchasing function.
- To maintain the company’s inventory levels within the agreed policy. To take appropriate action where regular reviews of levels show either too many or too few movements against previously agreed levels, which will affect system performance.
- Working with the Purchasing team to assist in managing the suppliers relating to negotiations on price, delivery, status, and service levels.
- Working Projects and Proposals interfacing with customers on issues relating to lead-times and service levels.
- Researching potential vendors and negotiating prices.
- Full supervisory responsibility for purchasing and planning teams.
- Manages the receipt, distribution, verification, and appropriate storage of all materials and finished items received into the company. This will require the monitoring of deliveries and, where necessary, liaison with internal staff and purchasing personnel to expedite raw material and component deliveries to achieve Material release On Time 100% OTIF zero defects to service the company’s schedule to meet customer demand.
- Collaborating with management to plan forecasting models.
- To be a member of the company’s management team, committed to a process of Continuous Improvement in the company’s systems and delivery performance.
- Preparing and filing detailed records on procurement activity, quantity, and vendors.
- To ensure that the receipt of raw materials and components from suppliers is managed within the agreed company standards and that the issuing of appropriate materials to machining and assembly takes place within agreed Buffer times.
- Management of production planning, ensuring the team are receiving and planning customer demand onto company schedules in a correct manner, on time to customer timelines and that issues of product and demand variation are raised and resolved. This will involve the creation of the schedule/work to lists for all areas of manufacturing activity.
- That the decisions on “Make-in”/“Buy-out” are reached in time to maintain margin and Due Date Performance.
- Maintaining inventory levels, including confirmation that replenishment systems are working effectively in support of 100% Material Release whilst delivering a well-managed inventory profile, making good use of company cash resources.
- To ensure Vendor performance expectations are achieved to whilst reducing the length of lead times currently being applied to Vendor orders.
- To maintain an acceptable level of Material flow (both externally and internally), which maximises use of available resources of people, machinery and cash.
- Develop and implement ideas and strategies to improve operational efficiency, add value, aid business performance and work towards a strategy of continuous improvement.
- Enhance synergies in the operating procedures for both sites, including development of a consolidated Preferred Suppliers List and alignment of supplier management processes.
- Working in line with the Company’s Health and Safety Policies and Procedures.
Education and/or Experience:
- Experience in all aspects of Planning and Control i.e. Materials Management, Inventory Control, Production Control, and Purchasing Management
- Bachelor’s degree/CIPS qualification in business, supply chain, operations, engineering, or related fields.
- 3 years minimum experience within an engineering or manufacturing environment, with the ability to read engineering drawings.
- Conversant with modern methods of Planning and Control, i.e., Lean Manufacturing, JIT, TQM etc.
- Contract management and supplier experience.
- Highly motivated, team player with excellent organisation skills who is able to work under pressure.
- Experience of planning tools i.e., ERP/MRP and vendor management, other related business management systems, Microsoft Office, Excel.
- Strong negotiation, communication, interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Analytical, numerically astute with strong proven problem-solving abilities.
- A proactive approach to changing workload demands in an operational environment whilst remaining calm and measured when sourcing suppliers/resources to tight time frames.
- Drive for continuous development and process improvement.